Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tomaillo Chicken with Black Beans

OK folks, this was a really good one.  So yummy!  I of coarse added my own spin to the recipe.  The recipe said to serve this dish by putting the bean/salsa mixture on the plate and placing the chicken on top and serving with warm tortillas.  I said No Way and made them soft taco style.   So I added some sour cream, corn and I put the cilantro right in with the beans and salsa.  This one was a hit with the whole family.  Matthew didn't eat his tortilla, but he ate all the chicken inside.  Oh, I also used regular chili powder instead of ancho chili powder.  I didn't reserve any of the salsa either and since I doubled the recipe for the family, I used 2 cans of beans yet I still only used one jar of salsa.  It turned out just right, but next time I think I"ll try making the tomatillo salsa from scratch!


Tomatillo Salsa (salsa verde)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

½ teaspoon ancho chile powder

¼ teaspoon salt

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

Whole fresh cilantro leaves

Warm corn tortillas

 

1.     Season chicken with chile powder and salt.  Heat pan over medium high heat until hot; lightly spray with vegetable oil.  Add chicken; cook 8 - 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning once.  Remove chicken to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand 5 minutes.  Slice chicken into strips.

2.    For beans, add all but 2 tablespoons of salsa and black beans to same pan; cook about 2 minutes or until heated through.  Spoon bean mixture onto serving plates; top with sliced chicken ad reserved salsa.  Garnish with cilantro.  Serve with warm corn tortillas.

No comments: