Friday, July 11, 2008

Angela Soldano 4/12/1907 - 3/16/2005


I was trying to fall asleep last night and thoughts of my Nana consumed me.  Me and Adam were discussing the possibility of getting a new toilet for our bathroom.   This may not seem like the kind of discussion that would foster warm memories of your great grandmother, but let me explain.  

My great grandparents lived in San Jose for as long as I can remember.   Since they were the oldest we would all travel to them for holidays.  I remember one holiday, I'm not sure if it was Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, whatever.  We all arrived at Nana and Dede's house and right away my Nana was telling everyone "go to the bathroom".  At first I was baffled, but then she started to explain "I just got a new toilet, go see it".  She also kept stating "I paid $100 for that toilet".  I'm not sure if she was proud of the great deal she got on the toilet or if she thought $100 was outrageous for a toilet so she wanted to be sure and get as much use out of it as possible.

My Nana was such a character.  I remember the first time she met Adam.  She took him aside and told him "if you hurt her, I will kill you".  And Adam believed her.   I would have loved to know her in her "hay day".  I can only imagine how spunky she was then considering how spunky she was at 90!

She gave a speech at my wedding.  Nobody knew she was going to say anything, but right after my dad gave his she stood up and said "wait a minute I have something to say".  "Sarah, you go home to him and don't go running away back home." Or something like that.  I remember it wouldn't have made sense to most people there, but I knew exactly what she was talking about.  She had told me before that after she married Carl Soldano she didn't want to be married to him anymore.   She went back to her parents and told them that she didn't want to be married any more.  They told her "too bad" and sent her back.  They remained married 'till death do them part.  Now my Dede sits at Creekside in San Pablo waiting for the day they will be reunited.  He turns 101 this month (17th).  Happy Birthday Carl Soldano.

2 comments:

Matt Skinner said...

Cool!

Unknown said...

I lived across the street from the Soldanos until they moved in 2003. They were like second grandparents to me and my sister. Angie would sit in her living room looking out that big window and watch the world go by. As far back as I can remember Angie and Carl treated us like family. Angie would bring over a fresh batch of Pasells or a freshly cut piece of watermellon. Just because she knew I loved them. I miss those days.

Wayne Ross